October 25, 2021
Crimes Related to Animal Ownership
Pet Related Crimes in Colorado
All of us at the Law Office of Jacob E. Martinez recognize the important relationship that exists between people and their animals. We understand that dogs, cats, and other pets, can be more than just best friends but also Emotional Support Animals and confidants.
In our community, an individual can be charged with a criminal offense based upon their ownership of an animal and the actions taken, or not taken, by the animal or by the owner.
COMMONLY CHARGED ANIMAL OWNERSHIP CRIMES IN COLORADO INCLUDE:
- OWNERSHIP OF A RESTRICTED BREED – Ordinances by Municipality
- UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF A DANGEROUS DOG (Dog Bite Cases) – C.R.S. 18-9-204.5
- CRUELTY TO ANIMALS – C.R.S. 18-9-201
- ANIMAL FIGHTING – C.R.S. 18-9-204
- LEASH AND LICENSE LAWS – Ordinances by Municipality