Assault Attorney in Denver, Colorado
1st degree assault is a serious criminal allegation, requiring the defense of a Denver criminal defense attorney with skill and experience. First Degree Assault is governed by C.R.S. 18-3-202.
In certain circumstances, an individual may be charged with assault in the first degree if:
- With the intent to cause serious bodily injury, and by means of a deadly weapon, the accused causes serious bodily injury; or,
- With the intent to cause disfigurement or permanent disability, the accused does cause such disfigurement or permanent disability; or,
- While engaging in conduct creating a grave risk of death, the accused causes serious bodily injury to another; or,
- With intent to cause serious bodily injury, the accused threatens a peace officer or firefighter with a deadly weapon; or,
- With the intent to cause serious bodily injury, the accused threatens a judge or officer of the court with a deadly weapon; or,
- With intent to cause serious bodily injury, the accused strangles or smothers an individual and causes such serious bodily injury.
1st degree assault may be a class 3 or 5 felony, depending on the circumstances of the case. First Degree Assault is a class 3 felony unless it can be shown at trial that the individual acted under the heat of passion after significant provocation and without time for an individual to cool down. The difference in sentence between a class 3 felony and a class 5 felony can mean a difference in years on a person’s sentence. Coupled with other defenses, our Denver assault attorneys are equipped to get you the best outcome possible under the circumstances.
When charged with 1st degree assault, a Denver criminal defense attorney is essential. Contact our Denver criminal defense lawyer today to discuss your options.